December 6, 2011

Top Ten Childhood Favorites


I am excited to be participating in my first Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish!!! Such an appropriate first top ten as well. A top ten that is the roots that some 30 years later led to this blog!!! So here are my top ten Childhood Favorites :) :)

  1. Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White – What child hasn’t loved this book?  It was one of the first books I read and one of the first my daughter read.  To this day if you ask my daughter why shedoesn’t eat pork she will reply “I’m not eating Wilbur”
  2. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume – I could list ten Judy Blume books alone on this list, but this was the book that made me feel older.  Hiding a copy of Forever also made me feel older and as a teenager it was the hidden copy of Wifey.  From Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret to Wifey …..was there a better way to have gotten through those adolescent years? I think not!!
  3. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George – My 4th grade reading teacher read this to us and inspired a little backyard camping of my own.
  4. Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald – I read this series of books over and over and over again ……
  5. Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder – Another series that I read over and over again and to this day I will still watch the series on TV.
  6. Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein –There is something magical about his poetry no matter your age.  I now own the copy that belonged to my grandmother which makes it that much more magical.
  7. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis – C.S Lewis led to my love of J.R.R Tolkien which has led to my love of George R.R. Martin.  Man, what is up with all the initials!
  8. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell – Anyone who knows me would expect to love this book.
  9. Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary – Just like Judy Blume, I really enjoyed all her books.  The Ramona series is probably what prompted me to consider my sister a “pest”…..ok, so it isn’t fair to blame the book for that one.
  10. Bridge to Terebithia  by Katherine Paterson – The author that taught me not only can books be sad, but they can downright break your heart.

I could list so many books ….Little Women, Jacob Have I Loved, Harriet the Spy, Pippi Longstocking, Go Ask Alice, Stuart Little, Island of the Blue Dolphins ……..
I think I need to run to the bookstore now and pick up a few to reread!

No comments:

Post a Comment